Dimensions: 5 1/4" X 9"
Open Dimensions: 10 1/2" X 9"
Date Location: On Page 4 - reference is made to the Ontario Motor League Incorporated Officers of 1929.
Cover Description:   Brown cover with black border around the edge. The title of the book is located at the top of the cover, with the Ontario Motor League logo in the center of the cover.  Publisher credits are at the bottom.  
Features: The book is 292 pages long and provides all the information a modern motorist of 1929 would require to make his way around the Province of Ontario. The book begins with OML information including facts "Concerning Membership".  Rights and Duties of Motorists follows and is basically a simplified version of the Highway Traffic Act.  (Cars must not be driven at a greater rate of speed than 20 miles per hour.)  Customs Regulations is next and then there is a sizeable section on "Ontario - It's Cities and Towns with a Short Description of Each". (Some populations - London - 68,404; Ottawa -115,000; Niagara Falls - 19,100; Peterborough - 26,000 and Toronto - 700,000.)  Steamship lines and Ferries in Ontario are listed and that is followed by a listing of Golf Courses, International Bridges, Hotel Accommodations in Ontario, Tourist Motor Camps in Ontario and Emergency Road Service Stations.
 
A large section follows listing routes to follow from one starting point to a destination referring to road numbers and mileages along the route.  There are a total of 167 routes detailed over 186 pages of the book.  The route descriptions also contain advertising.  At the back of the book is a "Synopsis of Game Laws, 1929", directions on how to use the Road Book, and an Index of Routes, an Index of Advertisers and an Index of Places.  The final page is a listing of the Contents of the Book.
 
Other: Many thanks to Peter Ayling for providing this book to me.
Note: Head office at that time was located at the Lumsden Building, Yonge & Adelaide in Toronto, Ontario.
 

Road Book Cover
Front Cover
Rear Cover
Rear Cover 
Title Page
Title Page
Officers
1929 Officers of the OML
How To Use Contents
Cities Towns
First Page of Ontario Towns and Cities Section
Hotels
First Page of Hotel Accommodations Section
Index Routes
Start of Index of Routes Section
King Edward Hotel
Hotel Advertisement - $3.00 a night!
OML Map Ad
Advertisement for the 1929 OML Map
Rules
Love # 5
 Service Stations Sunshine CampTourist Camp 
   
postcardThe ornate concrete building on the left side housed the OML offices.
 

The Lumsden Building at 2-6 Adelaide Street East is on the northeast corner of Yonge and Adelaide Street East. Built between the years 1909 and 1910, its architect was John A. Mackenzie. The Lumsden Building was constructed from funds provided by the Lumsden Estate of Ottawa. In the early decades of the 20th century, it was viewed as an excellent investment, as the city was booming economically and office rental space was in great demand.

When completed, it was said to be the largest concrete-faced structure in the world. This was considered unusual, as in this decade, buildings with a structural steel frame were invariably covered with bricks or terracotta tiles. The architect employed concrete to create texture on the exterior surfaces of the structure, which otherwise would have been plain, and adorned the cornice with many modillions (brackets under the eaves).Decorative detailing around the windows were thick and heavy. Even today, the effect is rather unusual. The basement  of the Lumsden Building contained a swimming pool and a Turkish bath, these features certainly not common in office buildings in this era. Though the fancy cornice and the basement facilities no longer exist, they reflect the prestige this structure garnered in the first decade of the 20th century.

The building has endured well during the many decades since it was built. It is a unique structure that has no equal in the downtown area. Today, it is one of the most historic structures on Toronto’s main street, in the heart of the city’s busy financial district.