Cover Description: Green background with white lettering and illustrations. A white sign with the title of the map has an inquisitive bird sitting on it and is supported by a post. Below the sign a farmer operating his tracotr in a field is observed by motorists passing in their vehicle.
Main Legend Side Features:
Opposite Side Features:
Note: Published by the Kitchener - Waterloo Record.
This map was published by the Kitrchenere-Waterloo Record. The Record traces its history back to the founding of Daily News, first published on February 9, 1878, by former Methodist preacher Peter Moyer at a printing press located at King and Ontario streets in Berlin (now Kitchener). This would be the city's first daily newspaper, and Canada's first bilingual daily as it was supplemented with a full page of German news for the first eight months of its life.
In 1896, at the time of Moyer's death, three newspapers existed in the city of Berlin (now Kitchener): the Berlin Daily Telegraph, the Berlin Daily Record and Moyer's Daily News. Due to financial pressures, by 1897 the latter two had merged to become the Berlin News Record, run by William (Ben) Uttley, publisher of the Berlin Daily Record and local historian. Retiring in October 1919, Uttley sold the newspaper to W.J. Motz and William Daum Euler, who renamed it The Kitchener Daily Record.
In 1922, the Daily Record took over the Daily Telegraph, leaving it the only newspaper of significant size serving the community. On April 2, 1929, the newspaper moved from 49 King Street West to what was at the time considered the most modern printing operation in the country (using a 24-page press) at 30 Queen Street North. Motz and Euler fought over control of the newspaper for the next two decades, with the former eventually winning majority interest. Euler sold his stock to Southam Company in 1953, leaving Motz's son, John E. Motz, the sole director of the rapidly growing daily.
On January 1, 1948, John Motz changed the name of the newspaper once again, to The Kitchener-Waterloo Record (to mark the occasion of Waterloo's designation as a city), a name which remained until the change to The Record, in 1994. During this period the 24-page press would be replaced first by a 48-page press in the 1950s, a 96-page press in 1961-1962, and a 128-page press in 1973. In 1962 it was the first company in Canada to use plastic sleeves to protect newspapers bound for rural addresses.
Ownership had been in the hands of the Motz family for generations until 1990, when the paper was sold to Southam in a $90 million deal. Conrad Black's Hollinger Inc. took a controlling interest in Southam during the period when it owned The Record. The paper was acquired by Sun Media in 1998, but Sun itself was bought by Quebecor soon after, and The Record was sold to Torstar before the end of the year.
On June 3, 2002, The Record switched from being an afternoon newspaper to morning one.
In January 2005, the paper was moved to Market Square on King Street East in Kitchener's downtown core. It had been based on Fairway Road in Kitchener since May 1973. The paper was printed at that location on a letterpress system until 2000, when printing was moved to offset presses in Vaughan. Printing later moved to Hamilton and Guelph. The building on Fairway was demolished in September 2005.